Sunday, February 14, 2010

Day 325 - Music at Mama Maria's

Another day working on the bookmarks.   But the end is in sight.  I finally was able to finish cleaning up the bookmarks.  This "clean-up" process was done on the word document containing all of the bookmarks.  It's much simpler to work on that document than to try to fix them all in Internet Explorer (IE).  Just before Ted came home for dinner, I decided the bookmarks were good and that it was time to do the export.  Well, it didn't work.  Neither IE or Google Chrome would accept the converted word document.  I'm REALLY frustrated right now!!!  I tried several different ways of doing it but to no avail. 

Ted returned home and I told him my issues.  He was sympathetic and suggested a few possibilities.  Some of the suggestions I had already tried and they didn't work.  At this point I'm so frustrated, I didn't want to hear any more suggestions.  I spent almost an entire week working on it just to find out that the export won't work. 

Ted wanted to know if I wanted "music".  I thought he meant to listen to my iPod via the iHome that we bought on base.  I said OK.  As I went about doing things, he asked me again, "Do you want music?"  Again, I said..."if you like."  Then he said, "You'd better get dressed if we're  going."  (I was in my comfortable lounging pajamas.)  "What?," I said.  He then replied, "Don't you want to go to Mama Maria's to listen to music?"  OH...THAT'S what he was asking.  I didn't think music was this week.  I thought it was next week.  See what happens when one is frustrated and working all week long on something that doesn't work? 

Well, I needed a break so I got dressed and we went over to Mama Maria's.  It's snowing in earnest now and there's about two inches on the ground.  I decided that since we were walking right by the garbage cans, that it would be prudent to take the trash out. 

We got our favorite table at Mama Maria's.  The one in the corner, away from the door.  It turns out it's only going to be Joe (the guitarist) and Michele (the owner of Mama Maria's and the pianist).  The lead singer, Jerry and Alex (the base guitarist) are both very sick.  No matter though since we don't get to hear Joe or Michele sing too often. 

Since sausage pizzas are unheard of here in Germany,  I had asked Michele if I brought my own sausage, would his cook put it on the pizza for us.  He said sure!  I had some sausage in my refrigerator, so I put it in  a plastic baggie and took it with me.  When Anna took our order, I gave her the sausage and told her Michele said it would be ok if I brought the sausage with me to put on the pizza. 

They were setting up for the evening of music when Melanie came over to talk to us.  Melanie is the manager at Triebers (a place my husband goes to get chocolate croisants) but tonight she is helping out Anna and Michele taking orders and being behind the bar.  Here is a photo of Melanie.


Melanie  was married to a U.S. serviceman and lived in South Carolina.  She speaks very good English but it's funny to hear her speak with a southern accent.  I guess that's how the Italians think of me when I speak with a Neapolitan dialect.












The restaurant was starting to fill up.  All the tables (there were only three in the section where they play music) were filled.  (One of them was our table).  Since our table is a table for four, if someone comes in that either speak Italian or are Americans, Michele puts sits them with us.  We don't mind, in fact, we prefer it as it makes for a nicer evening and we get to meet new friends.

Joe, the guitarist, posing for a photo just before they start playing music.















As people come in and go to the other part of the restaurant, the cold air blows in.  We were distracted by some flashing lights outside.  It appears that there are some "clowns" outside.  Shrove Tuesday is next week and it appears that the Germans celebrate "Mardi Gras" but they do it in a little different manner.  We could barely see the costumes of the revelers outside and we were amazed that they would brave this cold to go out and about! 

The pizza was terrific but I forgot to tell Anna to give us mushroom pizzas and to add the sausage to them.  Oh well, they still were good.  Next time, I'll have to remember to tell her we want mushroom pizzas and then pull out the sausage!

The music finally began and it was a treat listening to Michele and Joe sing and play.  Jerry is a good singer and performer, but it's nice to have a little different music.  Most of what they sang was in Italian.  Michele sang "Rose Rosse" (Red Roses) and dedicated it to me.  It's an Italian song by Massimo Ranieri from the 70's that I love.  He also sang "Happy Birthday" to a patron.  (First in German and then in English).  "Happy Birthday" came out "Happy Birzday" when he sang it.  I loved it!!   Michele had another friend come up and play the keyboard and sing.  Apparently, this guy was someone who he sometimes played music with.  He was a great singer too!  I was amazed because Michele picked up Joe's other guitar and played along.  This guy is really versatile!



Michele and Joe playing Italian music.  In the background is Anna.  She's in the bar area near the cash register.












Sadly, we had to leave early since Ted had to be at work early.  I totally forgot about my computer issues but thinking about them returned as soon as we got home.  I figured I would try it again and if it didn't work, I'd have to painstakingly put them into Chrome, one by one.  I didn't relish the idea of doing that but I was resigned to it if I had to.  Well, nothing I did worked.  I wrote an online friend that I would be tied up doing this for the next week.  She suggested that I try to import it into Firefox and  then re-export it Chrome.  It worked!!!  I was so ecstatic!!!  I still had some clean up to do, that is, create folders and such but I didn't care, at least all of the links were in Chrome.  I was happy and I could go to bed now.

I woke up at 2am.  I couldn't sleep and figured if  I worked a bit on my bookmark "folders" project, I'd get tired enough and be able to go back to sleep.  It didn't work.  I was up from 2 until 6:30 when my husband got up!  I managed to get all of the folders done but now had to export them into Internet Explorer.  I was now tired.  Ted wanted me to stay up until he was ready to leave since he needed me to help him tie his boots.  He has trouble with his left hand so I didn't mind helping him.  However, by the time he was ready, I got my second wind and wasn't tired anymore!

I managed to import the bookmarks into internet explorer but knew I had better try and get some sleep or I would be a basket case by tonight.  Thankfully, the "shields" on  the windows make the room very, very dark so I was able to fall asleep.  Unfortunately, it was not a very restful nor deep sleep.  



Thursday 02/11/10

No comments:

Post a Comment