After a wonderful breakfast buffet (included in the room rate), we checked out of the hotel and left our car in their parking facility. We took the subway down to Marienplatz where not only the Glockenspiel is located but also the Christmas market.
The next day we had a hearty breakfast in the hotel dining room and then took the train to the Marien Platz where the kids would be meeting their friend. We got there just in time to see the Glockenspiel. And though it was bright and sunny, it was cold.
The tower with the Glockenspiel.
The Christmas market and people looking up and waiting for the Glockenspiel to start!
Ro patiently waiting for the Glockenspiel!
After viewing the Glockenspiel, the kids found their friend and we split up. They went with their friend and his family and we tooled around the Christmas market. We bought a few things to take to friends and family for Christmas. Here are some pictures my son-in-law took along with a photo of him and his friend. I have no idea where these photos were taken except that I know one is the restaurant they had lunch at and one is somewhere in the Christmas market.
Somewhere at the Christmas Market in Munich. The Germans call Munich, Muenchen.
Inside a restaurant somewhere in Munich.
My son-in-law GC (on the left) and his German friend.
Ted and I walked around the Christmas market and sampled what the various booths had to offer. We bought various Christmas decorations for our home along with a comfy pair of slippers for Ted and an engraved plaque for our front door. We also found a "kinder" (children's) shop and bought the baby a new hat and scarf. We finally were ready to sit somewhere and have a nice hot cup of something. We opted for latte macchiatto at a cafe near the "Ratt Haus" (pronounced rot-house). It's German for Courthouse. My daughter is impressed that I'm picking up the language (but I'm really not...I wish I were!)
While sitting and enjoying our hot beverage, we got a phone call from the kids who wanted to know where we were. We asked them where they were and they told us that they were right outside where they met their friends (outside the courthouse). I explained we were in the cafe next to where they were. As they walked over, we could see them and waved.
They were amazed at how many people were here. I would have thought living near and working in New York City they would have seen this kind of a crowd every day. But my son-in-law felt the crowds were much bigger than he'd experienced in New York City. I found that incredibly hard to believe.
At this point, Ted and I were very tired and we opted to drive home. I'm sure my daughter would have liked to go window shopping but all of their time was spent with his friend and his friend's family.
By the time we got home, we decided to do a take-out order from Amalfi in Bonlanden and go home and eat. Tomorrow they would be leaving for the states.
Saturday 11/28/09
Monday, February 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment