Monday, October 26, 2009

Day 210: Brunch at the Offcer's Club

We got up, packed our stuff in the car and went to the officer's club for brunch. There was a big selection at the brunch and we met up with some of Ted's co-worker's who drove from Stuttgart just to have brunch.

The brunch was good. There was anything and everything you could think of...from freshly made eggs and omeletes to waffles to salads to crab and shrimp to deserts. Anything you could possibly want and then some. We were shown to "our" table. You pay for your meal and they give you a table number. We found our table and was served water and juice. We then went to get our food. I stood in line behind an officer in fatigues. He didn't say anything to me but he got his omelet and then I got mine.

I found out later that he was the commander of Ramstein. Fancy that...me being right behind the commander. I didn't know his rank because I don't know the military ranks all that well. Ted, I'm sure, would have known.

After brunch, we left Ramstein with the proviso that we would come again but not stay on base. There are all kinds of hotels outside of the base compound and we didn't need to be on base.

Traffic was rerouted due to construction and "Julie" was confused. There was no way she could have known there would be ramp closings. This two hour drive turned into three with the traffic and the detour.

We were glad to be home but now we had to lug all of that "stuff" we bought upstairs to the apartment. We parked in the "besucher" (Guest) parking and I took up as many bags as I could. I grabbed the folding hand truck to bring up the dishes. Ted brought up the suitcase and some other things and I loaded the dishes and the heater onto the handtruck and trudged them up the stairs. I then went and got the wine. I didn't want to break the bottles as the vendor did not pack them so they wouldn't "clink".

We spent the rest of the afternoon and evening putting stuff away. He even put together the heater! We checked email until bedtime.


Sunday 10/18/09

No comments:

Post a Comment