Monday, October 12, 2009

Day 201: Oktoberfest or Dinner out?

We had tickets for the Oktoberfest in Stuttgart. The tickets were courtesy of Ted's company. They were very specific in that we had to be there by 4:30 to ensure seating in the tent. We would get 2 liters of beer each (or the equivilant of somethine else to drink) and a half a chicken.

Ted came home late because of work and said a co-worker was saving us seats. It was almost 5 when he got home. He had to stop at the office for something and to get directions on where we were going. Of course, he couldn't do that earlier in the week. Of course not.

His co-worker told us to take the train. Since we had NO idea where we were going and she gave us directions (and an address) to the place next door, we weren't taking any chances on getting on the wrong train and ending up in Timbuktu.

With traffic being what it was (a Friday night and Oktoberfest) it took over an hour to go 13 km (about 5.5 miles). We came to a large area where there was an amusement park. Ted seemed to think this was it...but I had my doubts. I reminded him his co-worker said the place we were going to was right next door (now he tells me nearby) where we were supposed to be. And Julie was telling us it was over 2 km away!

There was no way I was walking, in the cold and light rain, for 2 km!) It turns out that co-worker gave us totally BAD directions. What a jackass! When Ted FINALLY broke down and asked for directions, we were told it was 2 km back where we came from. It was indeed at the amusement park area. I told Ted, why in the world did she not tell us, "when you get to the amusement park, you're there." But NO, she gave us the address of this off-the-wall location and we're supposed to guess? NOT.

By this time it's almost 7pm and I really didn't wnat to go, not to mention if we DID go, there was no guarantee that we would be admitted because of us being so late regardless of the fact that a co-worker was saving us a seat.

And I was getting cranky so he needed to make a decision fast. So we decided to can the whole thing and go to dinner somewhere else. I know he would have liked to go and there always is next year!

We decided to dinner in Bonlanden. It's a restaurant that's right across the way from the Cafe Venezia where we get the wonderful gelato. It was a little more expensive than I would have liked compared to free beer and free chicken. But to fight the crowds and to get there and not even know if we'd be admitted, was not an option.

Ted decided to go another way. To take the 14. It turns out the majority of the time we were in tunnels under Stuttgart. It was very interesting but I was getting nauseous with all of the exhaust. I couldn't believe they had on and off ramps underground not to mention stop lights! If it hadn't been for going downtown, we would not have had an opportunity to see this.

Dinner was fabulous of course! We had stuffed zuchini flowers for an antipasto and Ted had sole and I had gnocchi. We topped it off with splitting a panna cotta. And I was cold so I had a latte cafe (which I never do). The waiter said cappuccino? I said no...more milk than coffee. He made it perfectly!

By the time we got home it was almost 11pm! The Europeans really DO believe in taking their time with dinner. They savor it and have a love affair with it!

Friday 10/09/09

No comments:

Post a Comment