Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Day 195: More shopping!

Today we went to the BX/PX to get the safety pins to put on the sheers. We also needed to stop at the bank and get the cash we needed to buy the washer and dryer on Monday as well as get the German routing number so we could get our electricity refund. They don't do checks here, only direct deposits and transfers.

The BX/PX didn't have safety pins. Some things are compartmentalized on base. So much so that for one item, you have to go to to a totally different store. So off we go to the craft store at Patch. (I really wanted to go there anyways ;) I bought 100 small brass safety pins (because they won't rust out in the wash) but they were incredibly expensive!! I couldn't believe it cost me $7.50 for this purchase. But...it is what it is. And they do have to bring them from the states so, I guess I have to be quiet about it!

We decided to have lunch at Subway on base. I haven't had Subway since we left the states. Ted has it mostly every day as it's the most healthful food the base has for his lunch. I want to make his lunch but he doesn't want it.

The hooks we bought last night at MarktKauf worked on the rails we have but they only had two small bags (25 in each) I bought both of them with the intention of getting more and hoping their stock would be replenished on Monday. I hung the sheers in the Living Room but they look awful because I didn't have enough hooks. I'm going to have to go get more. It's really frustrating to have to wait an entire week to get the things I need to complete this curtain project. If I had been in the states it would have been done already. No car and nothing open on Sundays really cuts down on the things you can get accomplished.

All I know is that this apartment has to be completely done before my daughter and her family come to visit in November!

We also needed to check the laundry room in the basement to see if we needed the condenser type dryer or the dryer with the hose that goes outside. Luckily our apartment is new enough (2003) that each unit had its own opening to send the steam out of the building via that big accordian-like tube.

Ted seems to think that the Hoover dryer was the kind that requires the tube. Having said that, I'm still debating over the Whirlpool and the Hoover. We'll see.



Saturday 10/03/09

No comments:

Post a Comment