I got up early and decided to clean as much as I can before leaving for the clinic.
By the time I had the floors swept and "swiffered", I was ready to go back to bed. But alas, it's shower time and I need to get dressed to get to the clinic.
By the time we leave, it's around 9:30. I couldn't believe how many people were in the clinic. There were at least four people ahead of me. But at least the doctor spoke English and I requested a z-pack to get this infection under control.
I was surprised that we got in to see the doctor in less than an hour! We got the prescription but unfortunately, she would only write it for three days and not the five days I requested. She said if I needed more to come back. I thought that once you had a z-pack, you couldn't take it again for a long time. I hope it works! It's 500 mg so I'm not sure what the US dose is. She did say that the z-pack continues to work even after the three days are up. Of course, I'm still taking a double dose of my Juice Plus+ (Fruits, Veggies and Vineyard)every day so I know that has got to be helping as well. And I'll continue to take it...I think we were just too worn down and we skipped some doses so that's how we got sick. I'm angry not only with myself but with my husband for forgetting to take it. We know how incredibly important it is to take it to stay healthy. We will NOT miss any more doses, ever again!
We decide to go to the Apoteka in Bonlanden for the prescription. He dropped me off because there was no parking. Luckily, she speaks English so I was able to communicate, get my prescription and then leave. Since the bakery is right next door, I decide to get a loaf of bread. I get the bread and then look around for Ted. He was walking towards me and wanted to know what I bought. I showed him the bread and he insisted he wanted to see the inside of the bakery. Back inside we go for a few minutes and then on to the car (which he parked two blocks away). Normally, I would have no problem with walking but in my weakened condition, I was angry with him for not going around the block a few times to get me. Part of the issue is that where the bakery is, we had to walk 'down' the street (literally) and then 'up' the side street (literally).
Finally in the car and sitting, I feel a little better. Ted, of course, is hungry and since he wants "real" food - whatever that means, he opts to go to Cafe del Sol for brunch. With my antibiotic in hand, I want to take the first dose as soon as possible. It's 11am when we get to the restaurant and we have about two hours before we have to meet "Brunhilde" (the real estate lady). I'd forgotten to write down the directions to get to the apartment because Ted's boss took back the GPS lady so we are finding the place, the old fashioned way....turn right here...turn left there...etc.
We get done eating and it's back to the apartment. I really would like a nap and that nice, comfy bed is calling my name but it's not to be. We have just 15 minutes to write down the directions and get our butts over there.
It's such a beautiful day that Ted wants the sun roof open and I'm up for that even though I keep coughing and blowing my nose.
We get there OK using the written directions and park the car. Frau Wirsum (Brunhilde) brought her son along to help with the translation because she says he speaks better English than she does. We'll see.
We didn't see the entry way on Thursday, we just saw that there's an underground parking garage, which is cool. The entrance to the building is in a sort of breezeway, which is also cool because it will keep you out of the rain.
I knew the apartment was on the second floor and that there were no elevators. I'm really dragging so I take my time. It turns out, the Germans don't count the FIRST set of stairs...I guess those are freebies or something but we climbed three flights of stairs to the apartment. It's a lovely apartment (and it turns out it was actually TWO apartments that they converted into one.
It has some GREAT amenities: 2 1/2 baths, 1 bath has a whirlpool tub and shower plus a steam sauna. The kitchen is brand new and has a dishwasher and a pantry...BUT it is VERY small when compared to the rest of the place!!
There's a built in curio cabinet in the corner of the room and a balcony that has the most amazing view! There's two sets of stairs INSIDE the apartment. One goes to the master suite where there's built in cabinets (for clothes), a space for a washer and dryer and a huge bathroom. The master bath has wall cabinets and under the sink cabinets (which is unheard of in German apartments. The master bath is the bath with a shower and with a whirlpool tub. Pretty cool. This bedroom also has it's own balcony. But again, the unit is really chopped up, in my opinion.
When you go through the living room, there's another smallish room that could be an office or Dining room. it has built in cabinets on the one wall that sort of look like a buffet. When you go through the door, there's another bedroom with a balcony and it's own private bath. It too has a set of stairs going up to the next floor.
That's where the steam sauna is located along with another bath with a shower. It's a really nice apartment but it's really chopped up and I can't get past the three flights of stairs. Ted thinks it's because I'm sick but I got to thinking. What about carrying up groceries and luggage? What about when Ted comes home from work where he's been going up and down stairs all day. At that point, he has to climb not THREE flights but FOUR flights of stairs because of the basement garage.
Well, one thing is for sure...if we did take this apartment which is JUST in our budget, we'd probably be in GREAT shape by the time we got back to the states...LOL!
They even have a special room for bicycles near the entrance to the basement garage. And there is additional storage in the basement for "stuff".
Again, the ONLY drawback to this place is those three flights of stairs.
After leaving the apartment, we left it that we would discuss it and get back to her before the end of next week. In my mind's eye, I think we should at least look at the other units that are available from the housing office before making a final decision on such a long term event.
Ted has to go to Patch to pick up his pants at the cleaners so off we go. He now wanted the top down and I agreed to it with the condition that he keep the windows up. It is a gorgeous day and I want to soak up some sun.
After Patch, he wants to zip on over to Panzer to get a navigation system because we think the company will not give us the one we had been using for the past seven weeks. I give him a list of a few things that Panzer has that I need and we decide that it's been a draining day for me so I wait in the car. I started to snooze for a bit when he came back to my side of the car and said that the beauty shop would take me if I were to go in right now. Darn...my hair REALLY needs to be cut.
So off I go to the hair place to get my hair cut. She did a terrific job but boy, it was a bit costly. I'm sure on the economy, it would be just as costly. I guess I'm spoiled because I'm used to getting a hair cut for $12 - $14, including tip. This haircut cost me $16 Euro which is about $21. She did, however, do a terrific job. I love the way she cut it.
On the way out, I noticed little boys' "lieder hosen" and shirts. They are SO cute and I KNOW my grandson would look adorable in those little shorts with the suspenders. They are leather (but look like suede) and the shirt matches the shorts. I'm getting them AND I want a picture taken with them. It's something his Nana got for him from Germany.
Since we were at Panzer, we decided to look over the "used car" lot that is near the BX. This is a place where service men and women leave their cars when they need to sell them because they've been transferred out of country.
There's a few there that look promising. In particular is a white mercedes. It's a bit older but it looks to be in good condition and we could buy it outright. I'll have to do a Kelly Blue Book on it to see where they are on price but I still want to look in the want ads in the Stars & Stripes because I think we need to check all avenues first.
I'm REALLY exhausted by this time so we head for home. We get home around 5pm and I lay down on Ted's bed and promptly fall asleep until 6 when it started to rain. Ted had been playing with the new navigation system and he wanted to try a new restaurant out for dinner. OK. By the time he figured out where he wanted to go it was after 7pm. And the place that he decided on was closed anyways. So the next best thing was to go to the local hotel and see if they have a restaurant. They do. By the time we finished our dinner it was close to 10pm and I was REALLY ready for bed.
I know that we have to go grocery shopping and do laundry tomorrow along with go to church so I'm hoping the antibiotic will kick in tonight, let me sleep so I can be on the medn for tomorrow.
Until then....
Thursday, May 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment