Friday, May 1, 2009

Day 40: Still sick.

Finally, the sun made its debut today after five cold, cloudy and rainy days. But I still am feeling poorly. While I thought we were going to the base to speak to the housing office, I'm glad when Ted nixes the idea and goes to work instead. After checking email and corresponding with my boss, I go back to bed.

I guess this homeopathic concoction is going to take some time. These pills look like Acini di Pepe pasta (if you're Italian you'll know what I'm talking about here, if not...they are very small fine round dots of pasta). Anyways, I'm to take 10 in the morning, 10 at mid-day and 10 in the evening of each compound. Luckily they taste good but to count out 10 of each is a pain. I think he gave me 14 day's worth and I'm going to take them as long as I have this terrible infection.

I get up and I'm still feeling badly. Today is my usual cleaning day where I sweep and mop all of the floors and do a thorough cleaning. It's not going to happen today. I'm feeling awful and I go back to bed. I get up on ocassion but keep going back to bed. I wonder sometimes if I'll ever get better. But I know this has to go away sometime.

Ted gets home by 6pm and I tell him there's no way that I can fix him a proper meal and that it's Pizza night. He's fine with it. Thank you, my husband.

He tells me he wants to try the Amalfi Pizza place. The place that he dragged me to find on one of our earlier jaunts. So we go there and decide rather than try to bring the pizza home and risk it being cold, we ate it there. We spoke...or rather I spoke to a very nice Italian man called, Guiseppe. He told me has been in Germany for over 40 years that he had immigrated here as a child of 11. He still has a home in Calabria that he goes to for vacation.

As we continue to discuss various things like relatives in the US and where we lived and my family tree, he tells me that he has rented out his home in Calabria to friends over the years. As he takes care of other diners, I tell my husband about our conversation. Poor Ted, he was just sitting there and didn't undertstand a word that was going on. I finally translated our conversation. His ears perked up when he heard Guiseppe rents his place out and that it's right on the sea. Ted asks me to ask him what the cost would be for a week. When Guiseppe came back he said he's using it this August but I could possibly rent it in September. He wanted to know how long of a stay. I said a week. He told me he would charge me 300 Euros for the week. When we did the calculations, it was a great deal!!

We will be calling Guiseppe to make arrangements for the future. What a great contact to have!!

At this point, it's time to go home. We arrive home and my head is completely stuffed up so I'm putting hot compresses on it in the hopes that the heat will help dissipate some of the congestion. Ted wants to sleep in with no alarm tomorrow and of course, I have no objections to that. And Ted agrees to help me clean in the morning as my landlady will be doing her usual weekly inspection and will be changing the linens and the bedding. I can't wait to have a place of my own!!

We're trying to figure out the most efficient way to view the apartments that are available. My fear is that we are going to have to "settle" for something because we have been sick and because his work schedule is such that it's difficult for us to coordinate a time. I threw out a few ideas which we will work on over the weekend to hammer out some sort of plan. We have only 6 more weeks that will be paid for and we need to move fast.

I'm still tired from going out tonight so I'm going to bed early.

Naben! (short for Gutten Abend - which is the proper way of saying it...I spelled it in error in other posts)

No comments:

Post a Comment