Monday, July 27, 2009

Day 126: German Funeral.

Today was Werner Kimmel's funeral (one of our landlords). I have decided to go and represent Ted and I at the funeral. Since I don't speak the language, I'm just going to do a "monkey see, monkey do" thing!

I almost was late because I had been puttering around the apartment. I was walking towards the church when the bells were ringing. (I figured out that the bells indicated that there was something going on at the church and one should be there...and the frequency is different than when telling time.) Just as I was walking up to the church a woman came out and was closing the doors. I barely made it inside. I was surprised to see so many people there. And while the church is not small, it's not large either (see pictures from yesterday's blog).

I found a seat next to two gentleman and could see my other landlord sitting in front with his wife and daughter. I was glad to have asked my realtor what I should wear and whether or not to bring flowers. He nixed the flowers and told me to wear dark clothes. I was glad I wore mostly black. It was appropriate for this culture.

While we were waiting for the service to start, I had a chance to look around at the interior of the church. The inside has a LOT of intricately carved wood and there are two balconies inside with a HUGE pipe organ at the front of the church. The pulpit is at the front right and raised like in other churchs. I noticed that the balcony floors were not level but slanted. I wondered how one would walk on those floors! Oh...and the name of the church is Martin's church. I find that interesting since Ted's full name is Martin Ted! (For obvious reasons, I did not bring a camera or take any photos.)

The minister finally came out and began to speak. I'm sure he was giving a wonderful eulogy. At one point, he indicated that we should open up the hymnal and sing (mine was handed to me by the lady at the door). I craned my neck to see what page we were on from the gentleman sitting to my right. I'm sure he had no idea I didn't know what was going on. I was able to follow along in the hymnal even though I had NO idea what they were singing and didn't sing along. I was surprised that although there were a few women, there were a lot of men and all of them were singing. There was a lady behind me singing and because of it, I could follow along and see where they were. At one point, he had everyone turn to Psalm 23. Of course, I knew this Psalm. It is wonderfully comforting!

Unlike the Catholic Mass (service), the casket was no where in sight. When the service was complete, the family walked out first. The landlord's wife caught my eye so she knew I was there.

Everyone filed out after them. Once outside, everyone began to walk towards the cemetery behind the church. It was at this point that I noticed four gentleman with shirts and ties and hats (like military or police hats) pushing the casket towards the area of where he would be buried.

The four men moved the casket to the hole in the ground and gently lowered it with ropes. It was the first time in my life that I had ever witnessed a casket being lowered into the ground. I'm sure this is common in Europe but it is not in the U.S. Behind the hole stood a dozen or more flowers like you would see beside a casket in a funeral home.

When the four men had completed their task, the family walked over to the hole and threw dirt and flowers in the grave. At first I didn't notice because there were so many people in front of me but later I saw that there were three bowls on a table beside the hole. One had ferns, one had dirt with a gardening trowel, and one had flowers. Each person was able to choose which one they wanted to put into the grave. (I'm thankful I listened to the realtor and did not bring flowers...it would not have been the right thing to do.)

I waited until the very end because I didn't know him except for having met him once. I was going more out of respect for my landlord than anything. When it came time for me to go to the hole, I stood a bit away and did not throw anything into the grave. I felt it was inappropriate considering that I didn't know him.

I then went over to the family standing over to the side and gave them my condolences. After that I left. I didn't think it was appropriate for me to stay any longer.

I went through the gate and down the path to the street near our home. I decided to check out the bakery across from the construction site. Then I went home for the rest of the day.

Ted has his therapy session tonight so I will not be cooking a big meal for him since he gets home fairly late from these treatments.

Tomorrow is another day.


Monday 07/27/09

No comments:

Post a Comment