Friday, July 17, 2009

Day 113 - Finding a Doctor!

Once again, I got up with Ted and fixed him his shake and helped him with his knee brace. And once again, I fell back to sleep. I’ve been incredibly tired these days. Can’t imagine why?

When I got up, I organized boxes in the 2nd bedroom and unpacked some of them. I put away more clothes. I unpacked the rest of the suitcases and put away more clothes.

I couldn’t stand the floor anymore so I washed the floor in the Living room, hallway, 2nd bedroom and master bedroom.

At this point, I was soaking wet and needed a shower before I tackled the project of finding a doctor. I was going to go over to Mama Maria’s at lunchtime to ask Michele (pronounce Me-kell-ay or Michael in English) if he knew of a doctor here in Plieningen who either spoke English or Italian. I was desperate to find a doctor and I didn’t want to have to figure out the bus system to get to the doctor before the end of the week.

By the time I showered and got dressed, it was after 3pm and Mama Maria’s was closed for the afternoon. I then decided that I would walk down to the Apothecia and see if they knew of a doctor. If anyone would know, they would. I just hoped that someone there spoke English!

The Apothecia was open and I walked in and asked the clerk (pharmacist) if she spoke English. Of course, she said, “just a little bit”. I am amazed at how humble these people are. They speak much better English than I speak German, that’s for sure!

Eureka! She said there was a young doctor and she thought he spoke English. Great! She gave me the address and phone number but mentioned that he was closed this afternoon but would be open in the morning. That’s ok…as long as I take care of this before the end of the week. I asked her where in Plieningen is the doctor’s office. When she explained, I realized that his office was around the corner from where I live! Thank you Lord that you answered my prayer!

After leaving the Apotheke, I decided to walk down to Schleckers. There was one in Bonlanden but it was a bit of a trek so I never went. Now was my opportunity.

On the way there, I passed the bus stop. I wanted to find out where I could buy a ticket and where these buses went. Not that I have anywhere to go right now. But I will want to find out how to 1) purchase the bus ticket and 2) find out where to go. Angelika had given me a bus route but I’ve been too busy with the trip to Ohio, working and packing to study it and look it up on the internet. I was excited that the bus stop information was written in English as well as in German! That will be helpful…but I didn’t recognize any of the stops on the list. I’ll have to learn them! But I was excited because if I could get to Kelley base. From there, they have military buses that go from base to base. I could go to Kelley, grab a bus to Patch or Panzer without waiting for my husband to take me. Not that he would mind…he’s so good about driving me where I need to go, but I would like to be a little more self-sufficient, if possible.

When I finally walked into the Apothecia, it reminded me of a Revco or Walgreens without the pharmacy. I walked up and down the aisles perusing the items and taking stock of what I could buy there when I needed it. They had everything from cosmetics to my favorite bamboo socks to baby food and pet food…from herbal remedies to cleaning supplies.

They also had light bulbs. And they had the light bulbs that had totally burned out in the master bedroom. We used the hall light to light up the bedroom. We have to go to OBI (like Lowes or Home Depot) to get light bulbs on the weekend. There are SO many that are burned out! Including the one in the bathroom…also a pain because we really don’t know what bulbs it takes. I’ll have to use the step ladder to find out.

Ted came home with Chicken from Mr. Chicken Man and German potato salad. Neither of us were crazy about the potato salad and for some reason, the chicken was a bit salty. I’m not sure if it’s because we’re just so sensitive to the salt issue or because the Germans just naturally put a LOT of salt on things. He probably won’t buy the salad again, but I’m sure he’ll buy the chicken again. The chicken is a whole chicken that the Chicken Man cuts in two pieces with a huge pair of kitchen scissors. The chicken is pretty small, just a little bit bigger than a Cornish hen. So it’s enough for two people.

Unfortunately, I’m not very hungry tonight so I’ll debone what I don’t eat and make chicken salad tomorrow.

Ted changes the light bulbs in the master bedroom with my help and we find out that the three switches in the bedroom are wired funny. Once again, it’s the land of “just not quite right”. I guess we are spoiled Americans who like to get things done and have things done correctly. Not that it’s a bad thing or anything…it’s just the way it is.

We decided we needed to go on base and check email so once again, we trek down to the basement with our laptops and go over to the base. Tonight there was blissful silence…well at least as much silence as there can be in a restaurant. At least there was no Karaoke tonight with very poor singers! LOL!

After doing what needed to be done, we get in the car to go back home. The air is very, very heavy. We think it’s going to rain and it’s a very dark night. We are surprised and delighted but the light show (lightning) across the sky on the way home. Cracks of lightening illuminate the sky. It surely is going to rain.

We are fortunate that we got home and in the house just as the rain started pouring down. It was a deluge. Tomorrow it should be a nice day, we hope.

Both of us are tired but my side is bothering me and I’m having trouble sleeping. I sit in the chair in the living room for a bit and then decide to go back to that nice comfortable bed in the hopes that I will find a comfortable spot. Gutten Nacht! (Good Night!)



Tuesday 07/14/09

No comments:

Post a Comment