Friday, July 10, 2009

Day 109: Unpacking!

Today was the day earmarked to get our “stuff” unpacked. I decided that the most important room to get done first was the kitchen. Since there was a partially made nightstand (and all of its pieces scattered across the kitchen table), the first thing I did was to finish it because I didn’t want to risk losing any of the parts. When I couldn’t get the final four screws in the drawers, I put the screws in the drawer and decided to let Ted be my hero and do it for me.

Then I began unpacking the kitchen. All of the flatware, dishes and glassware needed to be washed before putting them into the cabinets. They had been packed and shipped by a sea container and there was NO way we were going to eat or drink from dishes, flatware or glassware that had not been thoroughly washed.

I loaded up the dishwasher just to realize that I couldn’t get it started AND I couldn’t read the instruction manual because, of course, it was in German! Now I had to unload the dishwasher and wash all of the items by hand.

It took most of the morning just to do all of the flatware and cooking utensils. The rest of the day was spent putting away dry goods and washing, drying and putting away dishes and cookware.

When I unwrapped the items, I haphazardly threw all of the paper on the floor since I had no trash bags to put them in. Now the living room was a mess and I needed to clean it up before Ted got home. I used one of the empty dish barrels to put the paper in temporarily until I can dispose of it.

It was after five before the kitchen was done and the living room was in some semblance of order. I’m tired and I want to go back to Filderstadt but before we do, I want to stop at the library to check on internet service. It appears I cannot use my laptop but I can utilize their in-house computers to check email and upload files. That’s convenient!

Ted is hungry and so am I. We decided to walk down to Guiseppe’s because Ted wants me to compare the Pizza at Guiseppe’s and the Pizza at Mamma Maria’s. Ok. It turns out, Guiseppe’s pizza is good but it’s incredibly salty. It seems that not only do they put salt in the dough and sauce but it seems like they top it off with salt. Or maybe it’s just us…I don’t use a whole lot of salt in cooking so that might be it.

I’m already tired and I know this weekend is going to be a very long weekend. It will take several trips in the car to get all of our stuff out of the temporary housing unit and into our permanent housing unit.

I do not look forward to the third move in six months.


Friday 07/10/09

No comments:

Post a Comment