I slept badly last night and as a result was very tired when I got up with Ted. He made it clear that he thought the Internet guy would come between 8 and 9:30 and I needed to be dressed and ready.
I made the bed and got dressed. Ted was running late and didn't want breakfast. I sat in the La-z-boy to await the Internet guy. I had some really strange dreams and slept fitfully because I was afraid of not hearing the doorbell. The reason I was afraid is that there's a huge construction site going on right next door and with all of the windows open, it's very loud and I was afraid that I would not hear the bell.
Ted called a few times to see if the Internet guy came. When he didn't show up by noon, I was getting worried because Ted told me that perhaps the letter we received (in German, of course) may have been requesting us to CONTACT them before today and not that they were actually coming.
By one o'clock, I decided I needed to translate that letter. So I took my handy-dandy little portable translator and began to translate the letter (unsuccessfully, I might add). So I continued to wait.
Finally, the doorbell rang at 1:45pm. It was him! YEAH! Unfortunately, he spoke very little English. He came in and did something to the wall where we were going to place the wireless. He let me know that he needed the telecom room. I explained it was in the garage. I stopped to get my keys and we went downstairs. He thought the room was in the storage area, then he thought it was in the bicycle area, then he thought it was in another section of the basement garage. Wrong again! I finally pointed to the far end of the garage and hoped with all my heart that the caretaker had left the door open.
When we got over there, it was indeed open. The Internet guy opened up the telecom cabinet and checked the lines and then punched down some wires and was done.
We went back upstairs and he told me that the Internet and phone line would be activated within the hour. Great! I signed the form he wanted me to sign (even though it was written in German) I figured out it was for his company so that they knew he had actually come to the apartment and taken care of business.
I had decided that we would have a Mexican dinner of Guacamole (yes, I said Guacamole), tacitos and enchiladas. The guacamole seemed lighter somehow. I don't know why but it did! And was it good! Memories of California.
Ted came home with a phone and got it up and running but it was almost midnight before it was operational. He called a few of his buddies and his mom and I called my best friend Debbie. I wanted to call other family members but without knowing their schedule, I didn't want to call and worry them.
It's the first evening we are actually spending time in the apartment. And I love it! But it's time for bed right now.
Tuesday 07/21/09
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment