Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Day 121: Recycling Receptacles and the Cemetery

In the morning, I listened to CD by Joyce Meyer and Praise and Worship CD while cleaning and scrubbing floors.

I had some errands to run, or rather walk. And Ted got me this wonderful handy-dandy wheeled cart for shopping. I call it my "granny" cart. It has a zippered pouch in the back for my wallet and keys and drawstring top with a cover along with the telescoping handle. It stands by itself and I keep it under my prep table in the kitchen. It's a handy thing to have when you walk to do shopping.

I was determined to go find the glass recycling receptacles. So I loaded up my glass jars and went looking for that first. Anna, from Mamma Maria's told me it was in the parking lot behind the cemetery which is behind the church. I went to the church and could make out the cemetery in the distance behind rock walls and shrubs but I couldn't figure out how to get there. There had to be another way to get there. So I went walking down the street and around. I saw what looked like another road and someone carrying flowers. I surmised that she was going to the cemetery. As I walked up a slight incline, I could see the gates to the cemetery. When I got to the top of the incline, to the left was the cemetery parking lot but I couldn't see the recycling receptacles. Great! I saw a guy drive over to the edge of the parking lot by some bushes. I thought I'd go investigate and sure enough, there were the receptacles hidden by trees and shrubs. If I hadn't been told they were in the parking lot, I would have never found them.

I decided to go through the cemetery since I'd gone WAY out of my way to get to the recycling area. I was astounding by this cemetery. I was bummed that I didn't have my camera with me right then, but I insisted that Ted go with me a few days later and I took photos then. I just HAD to show you what their cemeteries look like. It's amazing how they maintain these cemeteries. The flowers are unbelievable in that the photos do not do the area justice. If i didn't know it was cemetery, I would have thought this was some botanical garden! And it's interesting in that, I had mentioned to Ted some days ago that I had not seen a cemetery since we've been in Germany. And lo and behold, I was able to see one!





I find it interesting that the Germans sometimes use simple wooden crosses that are hand-tooled with the person's name burnt into them. You would think that these crosses would disintegrate but they apparently treat the wood when they are put into the ground. I think they are lovely.




I added this tombstone because I loved what it said: Jesus Mein Leiben (which translates - I think - to "Jesus My Love")



I still didn't know where I was going or how to get out of the cemetery so I followed a woman to see where she was going and there was a gate that was slightly hidden from view. I wondered if we could get out that way because I really didn't want to walk all the way around again! LOL! She opened the gate and I followed her. I found myself in the back of the church and was able to walk around the church and get back to where our apartment was.

So I by-passed our apartment and went to the large Plus store up the street from where we live. There are actually two of them. One is down the street (which means I walk up hill on the way back) and one is up the street (which means I walk down the hill on the way back). I like that better. Hauling groceries, even using my granny cart, up a hill is like taking luggage up a hill! LOL! Surprisingly the cart was relatively easy to take up the stairs to our apartment.

I got home, put away groceries and prepared dinner for Ted and I. We had dinner, watched a few videos and went to bed.

Wednesday 07/22/09

No comments:

Post a Comment