Ted and I looking forward to picking up the "new" car and take back the rental to close another chapter of our long "to do" list. This event took the better part of the day for a couple of reasons. We had to clean out the car and go pick up the "new car" at Panzer which is about 20-30 minutes away from our apartment. While there, we stopped at the PX / BX for a bit to pick up a few things. Then we both had to drive back to the airport to drop off the rental. Then Ted forgot to fill the tank, so I had to wait for him at the airport to go do that. And then he forgot to get the paperwork out of the car that he needed to give to the clerk. Oh well! And since I ALSO forgot about filling the tank and didn't know what paperwork he needed, I was no help at all!
We then went to the MarktHaupt in Scharnhausen to check out their washers and dryers and the various small appliances including vacuums which we will need some point soon.
When we returned it was still early so we ventured over to the Dorf Fest (Ted calls it the "Dork Fest". It is set up on the street that goes to the church and winds its way back to the main street. We found out that the town we live in is 850 years old! Now THAT is culture!
Here are a few photos from the Dorf (which means village) Fest.
This photo is of someone's yard. I just can't believe how beautiful some of the yards are here. Yes, they are small but oh, so lovely!
Ted has 2 beers called a "Radler". Since I don't like beer, it doesn't matter to me but we were told that it has a layer of some sort of sweetened lemon soda at the bottom. Ted loved it so much he had 2! It was very unlike him.
Ted and I had grilled bratwurst (it was light colored and wasn't as good as the brat he got at another location). I found out later it was because it was not the "Rot" or red brat which is better, in my opinion. We shared an order of wild potatoes (potato wedges with sour cream and pickles) Different, but really good. And a "Flammkuchen", a sort of pizza (no olive oil) with sour cream, bacon bits and cheese. It's very different and pretty good.
We went home early and on the way, we watched the laser light show at the open air discotheque. But it didn't appear that young people were there. Just little children and their parents.
There were security guys (all dressed in black) with the word "Security" on their backs. They were randomly checking IDs.
We also witnessed a girl being checked by police officers. She had to give them her ID and he wrote something down in a notebook. I think she had to go with them. She wasn't drinking (at least not that I saw) but she was smoking so I'm not sure if they were carding her because she was smoking or not.
We went home at about 10:30 but the party kept going until midnight. We had to shut our windows because we could hear the band and the DJ...the band was down by the church and the DJ did the disco across from the construction site. Of course it was a bit disconcerting to hear two different types of music coming at us from two different angles.
I hope we can get some sleep tonight!
Saturday 07/25/09
No comments:
Post a Comment