Friday, January 29, 2010

Day 244: Heidelberg again!

We got up but not so early because everyone was so tired. I fixed everyone a nice breakfast and we all got ready for our trip to Heidelberg. It's drizzling outside and I'm hoping that the weather will clear or be better in Heidelberg.

The drive to Heidelberg was wonderful because my son-in-law shared some sermon notes and then we had a long conversation about the German history.

We parked close to the Korn Markt and I realized that even Heidelberg has a Christmas Market!! Although everything was closed because it was Sunday we at least got to see Heidelberg at night which was terrific.

We rode the funicular railway up to the castle but we won't have a repeat of the last time we were in Heidelberg. We are making darn sure that we don't miss the last ride down the railway!!


Our grandson Ro holding on to the rail in the funicular railway!


Since we've seen the castle and the kids rarely get time alone anymore, we are going to take the baby to the castle gardens and keep him while the kids tour the castle. We will rendevous back at the castle gate at the appointed time.

The baby was terrific and was not an ounce of trouble. We walked around for awhile with him in the stroller and then we took him out of the stroller and walked with him near the fountain and looked into what once must have either been stables or some sort of prison because there were barred gates. Finally we walked back towards the castle gate and sat at a bench. The baby was thirsty but my daughter forgot to give me the bottle so I let him drink some of my tea. It wasn't the best idea but that's all I had!!

We walked around the Christmas Markt and Old Town looking at the architecture and the beautifully lit streets and window shopped. We stopped for a pastry and a drink to tide us over until dinner. There were street musicians who played in the street as we walked along. Although I had my camera, I did not take any photos...I'm just THOROUGHLY enjoying spending time with my family. However, I know my son-in-law has and I will be sharing some of his photos with you.

Finally, it was time to go to dinner at our favorite restaurant in Heidelberg: Zapata. Ted has been wanting to go back just to get the potatoe cakes!! But my daughter was worried how the baby was going to do. In fact, he was a trooper and did very well!! We all had our dinner without any distraction from the baby.

The trip home was a great time spent talking to the kids. We stopped at a rest area to go to the bathroom and the lights kept going out. It's difficult to go when the lights go out and it's pitch black in a public restroom!! LOL!

We finally get home and again, the baby had a hard time going to sleep. Finally, they put him in the stroller and he fell asleep.

Tomorrow is another day and I will have my darling grandson all to myself!!

Sunday 11/22/09

No comments:

Post a Comment