Monday, March 23, 2009

Day 1: the inside of our new temporary home.

We didn't think we would sleep well last night but we did. And even though we didn't think the mattresses would be comfortable, they were. But it could be that we were just so exhausted we didn't notice. The mattresses in Germany are different to say the least. We believe we will adapt fairly quickly to the differences and embrace them.

However, we will have to get used to not being able to take a shower after 10pm. Ted's co-worker (who did not do any kind of research on the culture here prior to moving here) took a shower at 11pm and his landlord immediately called the police! Needless to say, the company moved him out of there pronto! The house rules in our apartment state no loud radio or television after 10pm (it was in German so I had to translate it - luckily I had the internet to access a free translation site). We are learning that we have to be quiet after 10pm and that's every day not just on work days. So we are rearranging the way we do things to accommodate our landlords, who live downstairs.

Another issue is garbage. The Germans do recycling in a BIG way. There are two garbage cans: one for metal, plastic, and foil. The other has two compartments: one for paper and one for food leftovers (no garbage disposal). Another little handy thing that as Americans, we take for granted. The instructions, also in German, had to be translated. There are so many things, that while I researched them carefully, one doesn't really think about until one is faced with day-to-day living experiences.

Today was spent resting and going through paperwork that needed to be sorted. After traveling and visitng for the past two weeks, it was necessary to get caught up, not only on paperwork but on rest as well.

The day is cloudy, cold and windy and about 40 degrees. I hope it gets warm soon but I checked the weather for the week and it looks like it is supposed to rain the rest of the week and not go above 40 degrees. I certainly hope it won't rain because I really want to get out and explore the town.
Until next time, Auf Weidersehen!

P.S. I'm attaching some photos of our new apartment. They are from various angles within the Living Room, Kitchen, Bedroom and Bath along with the Southeast and Northeast views from our balcony.

Living Room from opposite LR wall Looking toward the Kitchen from the desk Living Room from Kitchen.



Bedroom cabinets from Beds Bedroom from Cabinets in BR Bedroom from Living Room


Kitchen from Front Door Kitchen from Sink Kitchen from Bathroom door


Bathroom from Kitchen Looking Northeast from the Balcony Looking Southeast from the Balcony






















































































2 comments:

  1. I guess you didn't get my first post. I told Merlin where you live now and I want to figure out when to come and visit. What is Ted doing?
    Dodie Glass (how does this Blog stuff work)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dodie...Blogs are pretty cool, actually. I have a link to where I create the posts (just a diary, really...with the ability to upload photos and videos). The world can see it but, if they don't know it's there, they won't know to look for it. And everyone can see your posts as well. I hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete