Friday, March 27, 2009

Day 5: Finally, the sun comes out!

It was so wonderful to see the sun shining this morning! I thought I'd go for a walk and check out the neighborhood.

My hosts are doing some remodeling today, specifically their office and bedroom so it's a bit noisy but nothing unbearable. The interior walls are block so he's using a sledge hammer to break away the walls while his wife totes the broken blocks to the dumpster outside the garage.

The day is cool but not overly cold and I brought along my gloves and scarf just in case. In the middle of my walk, it started to lightly rain. Uh oh! What I didn't do was bring an umbrella. I'll have to remember to bring it next time.

To avoid the rain, I thought I'd drop into the local health food store, not far from our apartment, and did a bit of shopping - some bread, yogurt, rye crisps and butter. The money feels like play money and I have to get used to the various denominations. What I found amusing was in their dairy case there was a tub of Cream Cheese called California!!

I had forgotten that one needs to bring their own bags to shop but the shop lady was kind enough to give me a bag and the lady that checked me out went and got a another bag to double bag it so that it wouldn't break on the way home.

It's fun to actually see people walking!! In California people walk for fun, here they walk out of necessity!! I think if you have a purpose for walking, it's more fun. I don't like to walk just for the fun of it, I like to walk because there's something I need to do.

I was able to locate an Italian restaurant, the pharmacy, a market, a butcher shop, a cleaners, a cafe, an ice cream parlor, several beauty shops, a massage parlor, several specialty shops (including clothing stores), a doctor's office and of course the local health food store.

I've taken photos of the exterior of our new home. It's very much like living in a chalet!! The balcony is off of my kitchen so that's really cool. My hosts told me that the home was built in 1982!! I couldn't believe what great shape the house is in given the age and the climate here in Stuttgart. The Germans are truly tidy people.

The rest of the day was spent "working" and since it was raining, I didn't mind. Then I made supper for my husband and me. I just finished doing dishes and finished working (I think). It's now time to think about getting comfy and going to bed!

I'm not sure what the weekend will bring but I'm sure there will be fun involved!

Side of house (and our balcony) and the front door


Front garden (we do not have access to this.)

Entrance to owner's front garden
Side garden that we have access to.



No comments:

Post a Comment